Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The iPod and Music

Apple launched the iPod on October 23, 2001 and now in 2008 there are four different types of iPods and the iPhone, which is also an iPod. Before the iPod mp3 files were not nearly as popular. Apple created a medium, which changed the way the world listens to music. It not only became a technology, but a pop culture icon featured in the media. The iPod had a “cool factor” and a monster was unleashed.


Currently there are six generations of the classic iPod. There are many consumers who choose to use an iPod and others who buy other brands of mp3 players. I am not very familiar with many other brands besides the iPod, which as I think about it is not very wise.

I am an avid music listener and whenever I find new music that I enjoy it allows me to think a little more when I get a different perspective on life from songs. I remember when I used to have a portable CD player and I would carry it around when my family went on vacations so I was able to bring my music with me. Unfortunately, it was not very compact with my case of CD’s that was probably bigger than a book. As I listened to more and more music, it became more inconvenient to carry it all so when my CD player died I got an iPod for Christmas.

From that time until now, I don’t even want to remember carrying those CD’s around. My iPod has all of my music on it and as it is such an important part of my life, I would be sad if it were to break, get stolen, or lost. The one thing that I do miss about the time before digital music files was having the cd case, and booklet with all of the words in it. Today, it seems that consumers have lost that part of the music experience.

I was recently introduced to a Pixio mp3 player, which had one feature in particular that I thought was very smart; it has speakers on the outside in addition to earphones so if the listener would like to share their music with others they are able to. Of course these speakers are not great, but for someone who just wants to play some songs without earphones it is great.

Apple began a trend that has changed the way that I, and millions of people listen to music. Not only has it affected the music industry, but also television, and film with the ability for consumers to buy episodes of TV shows and movies. I don’t know if I would watch something on my iPod because the screen is rather small, but who knows what apple will come up with next. Perhaps the iTV will bring a new element to the way we buy our entertainment in the future.

No comments: